How To: Rock a Naturally Sexy Updo
Updos are not just hairstyles reserved for black tie affairs. Women lead such action-packed lives today, that an updo is actually a great option for everyday. No, I’m not saying you have to work your hair into a perfect coif for Sunday brunch—simpler is sexier, and it’s easy to create something pretty by working with your natural hair and making a few little changes to your style prep routine. Here are 6 tips for creating a perfectly-imperfect updo:
- Condition First. We’re used to shampooing our scalp first, then conditioning our hair second. If you’re planning on rocking an updo that day, switch the order around in the shower to give the hair shaft more curve—start by conditioning your strands with an a medium-strength conditioner, then finish up with a natural shampoo to wash your hair after.
- Air Dry. Let your locks dry naturally for more volume and bounce. Lightly blot hair with a towel to absorb excess moisture, lightly detangle the ends without extra conditioning products, and let nature do the rest.
- Create a Foundation. Start with a ponytail or bun to serve as your base; this will help you design an updo that looks natural instead of manufactured and too perfect.
- Pin Away. Once your hair is up and your base is set, start securing pieces with bobby pins, letting things fall naturally for an undone-on-purpose finish; the less you tuck and smooth things out, the sexier the end result will be.
- Spray & Spritz. Mist your updo with a locking spray—this is a product that will provide just enough hold to keep things in place while adding shine and texture.
- Pencils are for Paper, not Hair. Stay away from twisting and securing your hair with writing implements and other makeshift anchors just because they’re available; instead, experiment with colorful fabrics, flowers and handmade antique accessories to give your undone ’do a pretty but classic feel.